Ads

Friday, October 14, 2022

2022-33 || thankful

Does anybody else's kid wake up at 5am asking to eat bread? 

This past weekend, we enjoyed a packed three days of family, friends, and food.  Everyday, there was a new turkey to carve and new desserts to try. My cousin brought over fresh mochi from Car's Dessert, an Asian dessert hole in the wall in Richmond. Maybe it's not even a hole, more like a crack in the wall, based on the photos online. 

I've been seeing more about this place on social media, but haven't made a trip in person, so I was very grateful for my cousin that day (usually, he's a bit of a pain, ha ha). He brought over a whole tasting tray: 


They were out of the fresh mango flavor, so we had (from top left, going clockwise) durian, chestnut, yam, and I think the last one is taro... My babies were getting tired and it was around 7PM already, so I took one of the chestnut mochi to go.  


The filling has little chestnut bits inside for added texture (or were they just unable to grind it to a smooth paste...?) I'm indifferent about this, I'm so used to the chestnut paste used in Asian cakes. Overall, still a great fresh mochi, very chewy and enough chestnut flavor. One day, I'll try the other items on the Car's Dessert menu, but for now, I will take the moments that I can get before the kids' bedtimes. 

The day after, we had a Thanksgiving dinner party at our house. One of my friends was asking me for a tissue:

S - "Do you have a tissue? I want to wipe the floor."
Me - "Oh, why? Did something spill?"
S - "Yeah, there's drool on the floor, and I don't want to get it everywhere in case somebody steps in it."
Me - "Thanks, I don't even notice the drool anymore because the floor is almost always covered in drool."

Thanks, S. The best part was that there was no judgement on his end, and this is the reality of living in a house with two teething children. Will I ever miss having to vacuum and wipe the floors three times a day? 

No. I do miss hiking at 6AM, rather than breastfeeding. 

No comments:

Post a Comment