Ads

Sunday, August 22, 2021

2021-33 || there is no right time, there is just time and what you choose to do with it

Stumbled across the quote in today's title, and thought it was wildly appropriate. Does anybody know where this quote comes from? 

I haven't made time to post about it yet, so maybe the hype for these tempura rice bowls from Tendon Kohaku is already over? We spent about 1.5 hours waiting in line for BOGO50% off on their grand opening day, last week. Baby S was not interested in waiting in line, and it was difficult to stay patient with her tantrums. It must've been difficult for her to stay patient with her parents, who refused to listen to her cries for food and entertainment. 


Anyways, I don't think it was worth the wait. The rice was not soft enough, the tempura all tasted the same, and it was too salty (ask for sauce on the side). By the end of the meal, the tempura were no longer crispy.  The portions are average, but I would not pay full price, which would've been about $20 per bowl, including tax and tip.

We also tried their beverages, which come in very aesthetically pleasing plastic pop bottle shapes. I also would not pay for this again, because it didn't really stand out. I had the refresher with yuzu, and expected it to be fizzier with more yuzu flavor. While there were pieces of real yuzu, it was overall just a mouthful of sugar. V and J had the milk teas, and they had similar comments that the beverages weren't that great.


I couldn't resist ordering the chanwanmushi for appetizer:


In contrast to the overly sweet beverage, this was a mouthful of salt. If it's any saving grace, the texture was very smooth and soft, 10/10 for that. 

In this situation, maybe there was a different "right time" to visit this restaurant, and that would've been when the line up was not so long and when my child was not so hungry. The tantrums and the screaming were unreal, and I had to carry her about 80% of the time. However, we would've missed out on the deal. 

In another situation, is there ever a right time to make a life changing decision, like changing your job? 

According to my old boss, I chose the wrong time to resign and start a new job. 

Me: When would be the right time to quit?
Him: Maybe a year and a half from now. We are going through a lot of changes, and we had plans for you to be a key player. 
Me: Yes, it all sounded like a great opportunity, but this other opportunity came up, and on paper, it is a perfect job for me. 
Him: The industry you are going to is unstable, because of the pandemic.  
Me: It might be, but I'm really ready for a change. 
Him: You have a new baby. With your current job, you can do all your work and spend time with the baby, since you are an expert already. 
Me: Yes, but this opportunity is really perfect for me, and I'm ready for a change. 
Him: Also, I am going on vacation next week! 
Me: Oh no! *sarcastically*
Him: You really chose a bad time to quit. I'll let you think about it for a day before I start the process with HR. 
Me: It's okay, I won't change my mind.  

This conversation further validated my feelings that this was the right time to start a new job, instead of waiting around to see how my relationship with my ex-boss would progress... I'm going to miss a lot about this old job, but I won't regret the timing of this choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment