Ads

Wednesday, October 28, 2020

2020-44 || what if our routine is to change things up every once in a while?

H and I will be heading back to Vancouver soon, and I've been making a list of food around Victoria that I want to have before we leave. Would be nice to get burgers and shakes from Big Wheel Burger again: 


They use fresh local ingredients, which makes for a beautiful burger. Even the brioche buns were fresh from the oven. 

Big Wheel Burger Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

H had the chicken burger, because he doesn't do beef. I had the single patty, with a strawberry milkshake. 


Best burger and shake combo since Shake Shack, and it's unlikely we'll be gorging ourselves on that anytime soon, since the US/Canada border is still closed. 

After two months living on Vancouver Island, I've gotten into the routine of not having a routine. I still have my habits of caffeine every morning, and brushing my teeth twice a day, but we've been travelling so much that there hasn't been time to settle into a schedule. It's hectic, and I'm sure it doesn't help with baby S's erratic sleep patterns.   

The other day, it was rough. 

The morning started off okay and then as I succumbed to what my husband and child wanted to do rather than what I had planned for, I felt more and more drained. H wanted to make waffles at the buffet station, downstairs in the hotel. I didn't want to wait in line for waffles and carry my baby with me to get breakfast. I wanted to be in and out. Black coffee. Toast. Done. I let him convince me that it would be quick, and delicious. We stood for at least 10 minutes that I could have spent doing something else more enjoyable (like sleep). The waffles were bomb though. 

Then, I wanted to spend some time working on this blog, and was expecting my child to be taking her usual morning nap or at least have my husband take care of her so I could have 90 minutes to myself. 90 minutes. Some moms are lucky to have 10 minutes to use the bathroom and to maintain a certain level of personal hygiene. And here I was, having the audacity to expect more than an hour of free time. Of course, baby refused to nap and whined right through the time I had planned for, eventually progressing into a full-blown tantrum. H did not know how to soothe her and put her to sleep, adding fuel on top of this awful four month leap and sleep regression that she's going through. I ended up being too distracted to do anything, and had to nurse her to sleep. Then, I scolded my husband for not paying more attention to baby's needs, because he was just on his phone the whole time as she whined for her soother. 

We went out for a drive after she woke up to see Niagara Falls (not that one... the one in Langford), about 40 minutes away by car. Baby hates the car seat and cries every time we try to put her in the car. No surprise this time that she started screaming right away. Just as we arrived at the park, she fell asleep... great timing! We woke her up, and I was hoping she could be rocked to sleep in the Ergobaby during our walk (she didn't). As we pulled her out of the carseat to transition her to the carrier, we discovered that her back was covered in poo. Got her cleaned up and we were ready to go. The walk was great, the fall foliage was on full display, waterfall was so majestic despite it being a bit dried up. Then we had to put her in the car seat again (nightmare).

 

Along the way home, we wanted to stop by Costco. We always do this, push ourselves to the tired tank limit and I really should have said no, because I knew baby was tired. I was drained, let alone the little four month old baby, who was up all night, had skipped a nap, and now would be skipping another. She had just stopped crying from being placed in the carseat earlier, and started whining again, right as we made it inside. H loves Costco and would usually have wandered all the aisles to look for all the deals. This time, even he understood that we should focus only on what we needed, in and out, but it was not fast enough. Baby S was in meltdown mode by the time we were at the checkout. I ended up nursing her in the car, and she ended up falling asleep in the carseat again. Of course, we were just 10 minutes away from "home", so she only had a few minutes of shut eye, and she was furious from having her nap disturbed once again.

Bedtime was only 2 to 3 hours away anyways and the nap schedule was already thrown off, so we decided to let her stay awake if that's what she wanted. Usually, I can just go with the flow, but this meant hours of her whining about being tired and needing to be held. I finally just gave in and nursed her to sleep around 7PM.

I had also decided to call it a night, around 830pm, and had just fallen asleep next to her, when 20 minutes later, she's hungry. So hungry that she spends 40 minutes sucking me dry. I am a human pacifier. 

It'll all be worth it right? We'll get into a more regular pattern soon, right? I'll start feeling a sense of accomplishment soon, RIGHT?!

No comments:

Post a Comment