Ads

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Life as a Full Time Lab Tech, Part Time Student



0545 – Alarm goes off. Gimme 5 more minutes…

0550 – 5 more…

0555 – Okay last time…

0600 – Seriously now… 5 more minutes…

0606 – I am out of bed and half awake.

0704 – Bus. 

0718 – Starbuck’s Pumpkin Spice Latte in hand, I am now awake.  The barista asked me why I don’t drink it with the whipped cream, and I tell her because it’s unhealthy.  She says that the Pumpkin Spice Latte itself is unhealthy.  I shrug.

0800 – Start work. Dear God, WHERE ARE MY SAMPLES? There’s not enough to run this test, JESUS CHRIST, WHY DID THEY USE IT ALL UP?

1100 – Monthly lab meeting. There’s cake to go with our 5S videos on how to be productive.

1300 – 1600 – Wrkwrkwrkwrkwrknotimetoslackoff (or use a space bar i suppose).

1600 – Search for dinner at the BCIT Burnaby campus.  Choices are Tim Horton’s, Quiznos, Triple O’s, or… Oh hey! There’s a cafe that sells Bread Garden, gonna try that out.

1700 – I’m the only one in the classroom.  The 2 instructors + 1 T.A. eventually arrive, and they start setting up, while I sit in the 2nd row, 3rd seat from the left, silently reading A Feast for Crows… So awkward…

1800 – 80 student class, people start arriving.  I see some familiar faces.  I’m too tired to be sociable… Please don’t talk to me. Please don’t talk to me. Please don’t talk to me. “OH HI!”

1830 – FSCT7001 starts. Course outline first. This class seems manageable.

1900 – Doodle a bit, think about how I’m gonna get home later, that wrap wasn’t very satisfying.  Oh the pace of the class seems to be picking up. Hmmm… What’s going on?  I thought I was fluent in English… What is he talking about? Wikipedia will be my new best friend this term.

2000 – Break.  It’s tough going back to school and taking an in-class course after a year.  I miss sitting in front of my computer doing online courses.

2015 – Class starts again, and we get into Latin terms.  Unfortunately, group work next.  The groups were decided based on the candies that we were instructed to choose at the beginning of class.  Does our candy choice (Tootsie Roll for me) say anything about our personalities? 

2130 – Class ends.  I just want to go home and shower…

2215 – Finally home.  I am completely drained.

No comments:

Post a Comment