Ads

Sunday, January 29, 2017

56/104 YEAR OF THE PHOENIX


sPink dragonfruit!?
Pink dragonfruit?!

Other people might say chicken or rooster, but phoenix just sounds so much more magical. This year is supposed to be a good one for Dragons, and I tried to start it off busy, just the way I like it.
Friday night, had what could be considered a small Lunar New Year party in my Basement, and we didn’t split until way past midnight.

Next morning was all for family time. Breakfast with mother at Duo Tian, then went to my aunt’s for lunch with about half the relatives, including two 3 year old boys and a 1.5 month old baby. We were just pulling out the mah jong table when H reminded me that we had agreed to go to this Fresh St. Market lions dance organized in conjunction with Taione, who imports fruits directly from Taiwan (get it? Taione… Taiwan… ha).




Two different types of wax apples above. Black pearl on the left, which is absolutely delicious. Crisp, sweet, juiciness in each bite. Almost like a Japanese pear, with a different flavor. I think I might be addicted to these now.

There’s still a lot to learn about these weirdly shaped fruits..  Abe, one of the directors at Taione, had actually spent about a week with the farmers in Taiwan, to fully immerse himself in their culture and learn how these fruits are grown. He had grown up in Vancouver, along with Lawrence, the CEO of Taione, and upon returning to Vancouver, he was inspired to team up with a group of his friends to start this Taiwanese fruit trading business. After almost 5 years, they’ve been able to introduce these exotic fruits into the daily lives of Canadians.


H and I also met with one of the managers of Fresh St. Market, Kent, who chooses the produce for the stores. He supported the diversity that these exotic fruits brought to his stores, and it was interesting to learn from him that a lot more local produce was being produced these days, with a spike in younger farmers. It brought me back to just last summer, working at the VFM. Anyways, these fruits might look weird (the wax apple looks a bit like a suction cup from a tentacle, and the dragonfruit looks like something from a scifi movie), but they’re sweet, juicy, absolutely gorgeous in photos. Looking forward to seeing more from Taione and Fresh St. Market!

After spending time with my family, it was time for us to spend time with H’s family. We had dinner at Sun Bo Kong, and celebrated with a fancy schmany cake from Fauborg:

IMG_20170129_092257_992

Words cannot describe how perfect this cake was… Strawberry flavored jelly and just the right level of sweetness. I think I liked this better than the chocolate one I had on my birthday, mainly because it tasted more tart and not so sweet. 

Faubourg Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

Sometimes, when things seem to finally be going smoothly, another pothole forms and we crash right into it. Just gotta be more flexible.
Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change - Stephen Hawking
For example, I forgot to turn on my wifi at home for a day, watched Youtube, and now, I have only 0.87GB left of data for the next 3 weeks. Help.

Happy lunar new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment